Skip to content
January 12, 2012 / jamiedayton

The Birth

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;    your works are wonderful,    I know that full well.  Psalm 139:14

WOW, is all I can say, it was CRAZY….

Some women labour like they are running a marathon, slow and steady, and then there are women like me who’s labour is like the 100 meter dash, fast and furious.
Being that this was the 4th time my body had run this race it came off the start line easy and went straight into over drive and was ready to hit the finish line before I even knew the race had begun.

The week leading up to her birth

was, well, difficult, not because I was uncomfortable, but for some reason I just expected her to come early (being the 4th and all) and when she didn’t come I would get angry, my emotions where uncontrollable and I was close to locking myself up as to not cause pain or harm to others.

The Day before

January 1st 2012. The pressure of having her in 2011 and getting the tax break and not having to pay an out-of-pocket pay with insurance was gone. I went grocery shopping (by myself, thanks Hugh) and was in a GOOD mood, I didn’t curse under my breath at any one (forgive me Lord) not even the drivers I encountered on the road (this is a miracle in Kuwait believe me).  I had a really good day.

Hugh had the 31st and 1st off and I was hoping she would come while he was home so I wouldn’t have to worry about him getting home in time or how I was going to get to the hospital with out him. All day little miss was pretty quite and I was actually going to go in if she didn’t move soon, but when it came time to go to bed, she did some MAJOR movements and I guess it was her getting ready for her journey to the outside.

The Day of

I woke up at about 3:30 am on the 2nd, with some cramping, and laid there wondering if I should tell Hugh not to go to work (he leaves at 5). I laid there about 20 minutes just trying to decide if these where real or not (I didn’t want to go to the hospital not in real labor, although here in Kuwait they would have admitted me and just induced, but I really didn’t want that either, or I would have done it before 2012).

about 4 AM I got up and sent a text to my very good friend Michelle telling her I thought I might be in labor and that after I took a shower I would let her know if I needed her to come over to keep an eye out on the boys.

The shower

It felt heavenly I was able to rock and sway and pray through each contraction which where pretty manageable, but once I realized I was enjoying it a little too much I thought I better get out now, I DO NOT WANT A BABY IN THE CAR.  I got out and sent another text to Michelle asking her to head over (text times: 4:05 AM with heads up, 4:26 AM with the head on over). I told Hugh to call in and tell them he wouldn’t be coming to work. He got in the shower while I laboured a bit in the living room turning on lights and unlocking doors waiting for Michelle to arrive.  After she got here she seemed a bit confused as to why we where so calm and not leaving yet (aka running around frantic). Hugh was just getting out of the shower and getting our stuff together to load into the car. She asked how far apart my contractions where. Honestly I had NO idea, I hadn’t been timing them at all. “I don’t know” I said, maybe 3 minutes. “???” Was her expression, “that is really close Jamie you aren’t going to have time for an epidural” “don’t say such things”I tell her. Hugh says “Oh we have plenty of time”.  HA… I mean I actually thought so to, I still wasn’t sure I was really in labour and I definitely wasn’t out of control yet so I must have time.  I didn’t lose control until about 5 cm with the other pregnancies so I must still have a lot of time (if it was really labour) right?

The epidural

2 of the last 3 pregnancies I have “tried” to go natural with out the epidural. #1 and #3, I “failed” at about 5-6 cm mark both times.  With #2 I knew I didn’t want to go through any of the pain like I did with #1 so I got the epidural at the first sign of really uncontrollable pain and had the most quiet relaxing birth experience.

This time around I had a hard time deciding, knowing this is most likely our last child, I wanted to try again,but at the same time I kept telling myself I wouldn’t be able to do it so I might as well just enjoy it and get an epidural early.   I remember a few weeks prior having some prodromal labour that was quite painful and telling myself that real labour is much worse so just get the epi.  So as these contractions where starting to get to where I had to pause through them a lot more I decided let’s go so I can get that epidural.  However, I also remember I had prayed a few weeks prior, Lord your will be done, if I shouldn’t get the epidural then make it so that I can’t (be careful what you pray for!)

The car ride

I had a dream about a month prior that I delivered this little girl in the car just outside the hospital.  Traffic can be terrible if you hit it at the wrong time those times are in the evenings and school mornings. The hospital is normally about 20 to 30 minutes away with out traffic. With it, it can take over and hour to get there. I did not want to have this baby in the car, it was the one thing I feared most and prayed continually over, surrendering that fear to the Lord and begging Him to not let that happen, another prayer answered.  Had Hugh left for work and I had to wait on him to get home we would have hit school traffic and not made it to the hospital in time. We left the house about 5 AM.

I always listen to Seeds Family Worship cd’s in the car.  Believe me you need Jesus with you when driving here and it is a great way to memorize the Word and it is good music. But this time it was so different, as I would have a contraction and just meditate on the scripture that was being sung at the moment it really settled into my heart more than ever before. I was able to get through each contraction so easily with God there, reassuring me that I was “fearfully and wonderfully made” He created me to bear children, my body is completely efficient in bringing life into this world, He made me for this! I love God!
I remember the contractions starting to slow down (really a blessing being I was in the car and it was extremely uncomfortable) but each time I would look at the clock and think Oh no they are slowing down I am not really in labour. It was tortious really, my mind battling the blessings from God, plus I now realize I was entering transition.

We finally got to the hospital parking lot and I told myself I just have to make it up to the 5th floor. Then the relief of a needle in my back will be given to me. I walked in and made my way to the elevator and into the triage room all in complete control, but lost it shortly after that.

The hospital

We arrived about 5:20, Once there I began demanding the epidural immediately, the poor nurse was just trying to do her job, I hadn’t even been checked to see if I was really in labour, but I knew I was running out of time, and was not willing to be very patient with her or anyone for that matter.  In each of my births I have this part where I hit about 8 centimeters and my body begins bearing down on its own to get baby low enough to finish the dilation process and begin pushing. I felt it coming and tried to convey to the nurse and midwife on call that I knew things are about to start moving fast and please (well maybe not so nicely) call the anesthesiologist to come bring me what I want. However, I forgot about needing the bag of fluids first (God didn’t) So after a lot of reluctance about laying down to check me (seriously laying down when in labour is the hardest and most painful thing to do) It was determined I was 7-8 centimeters. The midwife tells me she doesn’t think there is enough time for an epidural and they begin to move quickly (I think the first sign that I wasn’t playing around should have been the fact that I began undressing before they even closed the curtains and telling the nurse to get me gown.)

I was quickly wheeled into my room about 5:35, and moved (again very reluctantly) into another bed where I was asked to lay down but I was not going to do that again so I had Hugh sit the bed up, “I will stay in your bed but I am going to sit” All while begging Lord Jesus to help me VERY loudly in the middle of a Muslim country, hospital and staff, (did I mention they where muslim?) I am not ashamed either.

Hugh remembered the gas (nitrous oxide) and asked if I could have it, again I was reluctant because I know how tired that stuff makes me and didn’t want to be tired right then. But I did take it and it did calm me down to where I could focus again. By this time they where just getting the IV in and I was feeling  the baby move down, My body was all ready pushing her out and I didn’t want to. The Dr was still not there and I wanted an epidural. I asked for a shot of narcotic and then continued to pray for the Lords help. Hugh asked how he could help and I just asked him to pray over me, he was such a huge help! He tells me God is helping me. I hear in my head “6:05”, I look at Hugh’s watch and it is 5:55 AM.

I was laid back to be checked, water was still in tact and bulging, the Dr arrives, comes in and checks to see where I was. I was complete, he asks for an amnio hook to break my water, after I beg for him not to as this will cause more pain, but he broke the water bag anyway and I began to push, One VERY LONG PUSH and there she was born at 6:05 and laid on my stomach in all her beauty. I unfortunately had not even had time to comprehend all that had just happened, I mean I was crying saying no I don’t want to push her out with out and epidural, then something clicked in me, saying, I have to just do it so I bore down with all I had and pushed, the dr told me to slow down as I was ripping but I didn’t care,  I was not stopping now.

It all happened so fast we didn’t even have time to take the camera out and get pictures, so all are after the fact.   Looking back I am so thankful that God gave me what I truly wanted and that it was so wonderful.

He is so good.

And I am so in love with my little girl.

samuel loves his baby

Finally a sister!

Michael is so in love and proud!

now we are 6

just born



Leave a Comment
  1. Devan / Jan 13 2012 12:36 am

    wow! What a story!

  2. christy / Jan 14 2012 4:03 pm

    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing.

  3. Michelle / Apr 9 2012 4:02 pm

    I just read this. It’s funny how i started reading it slowly and then the further I got into it I was flying through it because I knew it was all going to happen so fast!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: